Friday, April 22, 2016

Carpe Diem #960 fishing


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It feels a bit strange ... and I don't understand it also. What has happened to CDHK? Is haiga something we as a family of haiku poets don't appreciate? During this month I see that the submissions are becoming more and more less than ever. I don't know what is happening, but it will not take away my enthusiasm to create every day posts for you all.

Today I have another nice modern kigo for spring to inspire you all. Today our prompt is fishing and the first thing which came in mind was a haiku by Chiyo-Ni, a follower of Basho.

tsurizao no ito ni sawaru ya natsu no tsuki

it touches the line
of my fishing pole -
this summer moon

© Chiyo-Ni (tr. Gabi Greve)

And as I surfed further on the WWW I ran into a nicely created comic about this haiku which I love to share here with you. Maybe you know Jessica Tremblay, she is the artist who makes these comics at www.oldpondcomics.com 


Really a nice way to bring haiku in the light and under attention of the world. Jessica has created several of these haiku-comics and they all are beauties in my opinion.

Let us take a look at the examples by Jane Reichhold to explain this modern kigo fishing:

on the pier
the old farmer tells us
how to fish

as the tide ebbs
fishermen appear
on the sand

dusk lake
sinking into darkness
fishermen's voices

© Jane Reichhold

Three beauties ... in her online version of "A Dictionary of Haiku" she gave more examples.


image found at wikipedia; The Fisherman by Charles Napier Hemy 1888

And now it is up to you my dear friends.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until April 25th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, prayers for rain, later on. Have fun!


6 comments:

  1. Kristjaan, I love CDHK. With my work schedule I am not always able to come up with a submission within your deadline. I'm not suggesting you change this - I like the challenge the time restriction creates but it does limit what I can post. I especially like the Tan Renga and was thrilled to see it back in play. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into the CDHK family especially in light of your work schedule and recent personal loss so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your haiga needs to be framed and on a wall! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very busy getting ready fro a gardening presentation this week. today I'm trying to catch up with my haiku. Thanks for always finding new ways to challenge us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'll say it. I don't like haiga very much.

    Oh, I've made a few but ultimately they don't satisfy me. Photos or images detract majorly from the poetry. Almost always the image takes over and the poem is lost. When I am given a haiga to look at my brain only sees the photo. When I make a haiga, again, I am so focused on the photo/image/drawing whatever that the poetry is lost.

    In haiku or tanka the WORDS need to create the image. Haiga robs that of the viewer/reader. The image says "this is what you must visualize."

    This is why it's so rare that I make them. I wan't my WORDS to create the image in the reader's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree with you on this Lolly. I am also not a big fan of haiga, but there are enough CDHK members who like to create haiga. As you say I think that words have to paint the image and I think that haiku and tanka are, notwithstanding their shortness, can do that in a great way.
    The haiku and tanka are just the trigger for the reader to "reproduce" the scene described, the impression of a short moment, in a haiku or tanka.
    Of course a haiga can create a total image, but the image must not be the strongest in the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://rajkumarmilan.wordpress.com/2016/04/26/fishing/

    Cold and cough make me unable to Browse these days ...missing some prompts already

    ReplyDelete