Saturday, January 13, 2018

Carpe Diem Weekend-Meditation #15 Soliloquy no Renga "the dust of stars"



!! Open for your submissions next Sunday January 14th at 7:00 PM (CET) !!!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new Weekend-meditation here at Carpe Diem. This feature I created to give myself some free time and I think it works great. This weekend I love to challenge you to create a Soliloquy no renga (or a Solo-Renga). Let me first tell you what the Soliloquy no Renga is, maybe you know it, but for those who are new here ...



As you all know haiku came from 'hokku' the opening verse of a Renga or chained verse ... Renga was a collaborative kind of poetry in which several poets were participating. Basho, one of the four greatest haiku-poets (next to Buson, Issa and Shiki) transformed the 'hokku' into a poetry-form on itselves, the haiku ...
I love to bring you back to the roots of our beloved haiku and created what I will call 'Soliloquy No Renga', a Renga written by one poet. Soliloquy means monologue and is a synonym for it.

The goal of this new feature is to write a Soliloquy No Renga, a Renga composed by one person. With this new feature it is possible to help you to be more associative, because you have to compose an all new renga with at least six (6) links.
As you all know a renga has stanzas of three and two lines. The first verse "hokku" gives the title to the renga and sets the entire image of your renga. By association on the verse before the verse you have to write you can make the renga a complete story.
This new feature is just for fun and I hope it will bring you the fun and inspiration as I had in mind. You can choose on your own how much links you use, but at least (as I said above) six (6) links. The last link has to make the "circle complete" and in that way has a link with the first verse. That last verse is called "ageku".



I will give you the "hokku" for the Soliloquy No Renga and than it's up to you. That "hokku" can be a haiku by a classic or modern haiku-poet. This weekend I have chosen to give you a nice haiku created by Jane Reichhold (1937-2016). And I have taken it from our exclusive CDHK E-book "All My Years" (downloadable at the right side of our Kai):

Here is the haiku which is the "hokku" for this Soliloquy No Renga:

silence
the dust of stars
shining radiance

© Jane Reichhold

And now it's up to you to create a Soliloquy No Renga starting with this verse by Jane Reichhold. Have fun ... !

This CDHK Weekend-Meditation is open for your submissions next Sunday January 14th at 7:00 PM (CET) and will remain open until January 21st at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, the first Voyage by Sindbad, later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment